Today I mark the 58th time the earth has gone around the sun with me on this planet. All that to say this: today's my birthday. My 58th birthday.
It seems I should have, at this point in my life, acquired some wisdom to share. Or I could just write down some random thoughts...
21 Things I Know For Sure About Myself:
- People always respond best when I'm authentic.
- I'm much better, smarter, funnier than my inner critic gives me credit for. (I wish she would just SHUT UP sometimes, but that's not important right now.)
- I will never really enjoy broccoli, no matter how much cheese sauce is on it.
- A fresh mani/pedi always makes me feel good.
- No matter what I achieve in life, I'm a thousand times more proud of my kids' accomplishments.
- Marrying well was the smartest thing I've ever done. (I love you, Eric Darby.)
- I must have coffee. Every. Day.
- I don't feel completely dressed unless I am wearing jewelry and lipstick. (Is that a Cuban thing?)
- I'm fiercely proud of my Cuban heritage and my big, fat, Cuban family.
- I appreciate my friends immensely.
- The smell of sofrito (sauteed onions, bell pepper, and garlic) is the most welcoming smell there is.
- If it's in my power to do something for you, I will.
- I take pictures every day.
- I cry at the same parts of the same movies every time. ("I'll take the ring to Mordor. Though I do not know the way..." ~Frodo Baggins)
- I am always reading 3 or 4 books at a time.
- It's hard for me to keep quiet sometimes. (Okay. A lot of the time. Shut up.)
- When I look at young people, I try to imagine what they'll be like when they're old.
- When I look at old people, I try to imagine them when they were young.
- I'm super analytical.
- I live by the following mantra: Food must be delicious.
- I love social media & technology. I'm glad to be living in this age.
All those things are true about me and I suppose I could write another 37 to get up to 58. But I'm kind of lazy sometimes. Ooops. I guess that one didn't make the list...