Ask any of them: "What's dad's favorite meal?"
No hesitation: "Breakfast."
"What would he order?"
No hesitation: "Belgian waffle."
Wherever we go on vacation, or out to breakfast, he always orders the Belgian Waffle. Usually with strawberries if they're in season. So, Father's Day breakfast was a no-brainer: Belgian Waffles with strawberries, powdered sugar and whipped cream. The kids prefer them with a little bit of maple syrup.
I just went ahead and made the scrambled eggs and bacon. Just to take the meal to the next brunch-like celebratory level. My husband is so easy to please. In fact, I just took the Belgian Waffle Recipe from the Bisquick people and tweaked it to make it a tiny bit better.
Him: "Wow, Honey! This is the BEST Belgian Waffle I've ever had!" (he says this every time I make them, but that's not important right now.)
Me: "You're so easy."
Him: "Yes, but I'm not cheap."
Belgian Waffles Recipe a la Darby
(you'll need a Belgian Waffle Iron for these)
2 cups Bisquick
1 1/3 cup milk
4 Tbsp. melted butter
1) Stir together all the ingredients.
2) Pour batter into center of hot waffle iron.
3) Cook for just about 2 minutes or until golden brown & steaming stops.
4) Carefully remove waffle and serve hot.
Top with any of the following:
- Fresh strawberries, powdered sugar and whipped cream.
- Powdered sugar and maple syrup.
- Mango slices and maple syrup. (Ummm... that would be for Belgian Cuban Waffles. =D)
Happy Father's Day!