I live in Southern California and here, avocados are always in season. Also, we love to eat outdoors.
Okay, so technically, the "official" avocado season is from February through September, but truly, I never have to think twice when I want an avocado for any reason. They are always in our grocery stores.
I know. It sounds like I'm bragging. But it's just the truth. We have avocados year-round. Because California. (Don't hate.)
Also, because the weather is screaming "LET'S HAVE A PICNIC AND EAT OUTDOORS AND HAVE AVOCADOS," I feel like that's exactly what I want to do. (The weather often suggests to me what we should be eating, but that's not important right now.)
So, what do you think about Avocado Cocktails? I think you'd like that very much. I promise you'll be the hero of your backyard barbecue or picnic.
Avocado Cocktails Recipe
- 4-5 ripe avocados
- 1 bottle cocktail sauce
- 1 fresh lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
1) Slice avocados into 1 inch chunks.
2) Put the avocado chunks into a medium size bowl and give them a squeeze of lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
3) Add salt & pepper to taste and gently mix the avocados with a wooden spoon. You're just coating them with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, so you want to mix as gently as possible. You don't want mush.
4) Pour cocktail sauce over the avocado chunks and mix to coat.
5) Gently spoon coated avocado into serving cups.
6) Pour another small amount of cocktail sauce over the avocado in the cups.
7) Then give them each another squeeze of lemon for flavor.
8) Garnish with lemon slices or wedges and chill for at least an hour.
9) Serve cold.
10) Take bows.