I know what you're thinking. You saw the title of this post and you said out loud, "There's no such thing as Cuban Bruschetta."
That's also what my mom said. (But then she's a Cuban Mother and it's part of her job description to argue recreationally, but that's not important right now.)
Lucy (who is the Bruschetta Expert of the family) asked, "So what makes it Cuban?"
Well, let me tell you. It's the extra garlic butter. And maybe the splash of vinegar. Or the cumin. And the tomato/sweet onion ration. Also, as with all Cuban food, the flavor is seriously sublime.
Jonathan: "Can I have another?" (Win!)
Allow me to introduce you to the awesomeness that is Cuban Style Bruschetta. Because that's what I'm here for.
- 3 chopped Roma tomatoes (ripe, but firm)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet (!) onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- A splash of vinegar (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 8 cloves garlic, minced (separate about a third for the garlic butter)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, onion, olive oil, vinegar, cumin, 3/4ths of the minced garlic.
2) Add salt and pepper to taste.
3) Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or longer) to let the flavors blend together.
Cuban Bruschetta Toast
- 12 slices Cuban bread (French bread will work, but it should have a soft crust.)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 stick of butter, softened, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1) Slice the bread into 3/4 inch thick slices.
2) Mash the remaining garlic into the softened butter.
3) Compress each slice of the bread with a spatula.
3) Butter both sides of the smashed bread with the garlic butter.
4) Fry up the slices of buttered bread in a frying pan, over medium heat, until lightly toasted on each side. Be careful with this. The garlic and butter combo can quickly burn if you don't watch it.
5) Spoon the tomato/onion mixture on each slice of toasted bread.
6) Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. (The cilantro is not just a garnish. It adds a lovely flavor to the bruschetta. Trust me.)
7) Serve immediately.
8) Email me and tell me how much you loved it.