Churrasco con Chimichurri Recipe
A Simple Barbecue
My husband, Eric, invited one of his clients over for dinner the other night, and he asked me not to make a fuss.
“Let’s just barbecue,” he said.
“Fine,” I said, “I’ll just do a simple Cuban-style barbecue.”
So, I didn’t make a fuss . . .
I made a mouth-watering Churrasco con Chimichurri.
For the uninitiated, Churrasco is a garlicky, marinated flap or skirt steak that is barbecued and served with a flavorful sauce called Chimichurri.
“Umm… Honey? If this is simple, what’s an elaborate Cuban barbecue?”
Churrasco Estilo Cubano Recipe
- 3- 4 lbs. Skirt or Flap steak (NOT Flank)
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 20 – 30 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup bitter orange juice
- ½ cup white onion, minced
- 2 tsp. oregano
- ½ cup olive oil
For Steak Marinade:
1) In a food processor or blender, process garlic and pepper to form a paste.
2) Remove from processor and stir in bitter orange juice and oregano.
3) Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
4) Whisk in the olive oil until it’s well blended.
1) Remove steak from package and pat dry.
2) Place in a large bowl or flat Pyrex dish and cover with marinade.
3) Cover and refrigerate for approximately two hours.
1 bunch of cilantro leaves (or fresh parsley leaves)
8 cloves garlic
¼ cup vinegar
Juice of one lime
½ cup white onion
¼ cup sweet sweet roasted pepper strips (Vlasic)
3 Tbsp. oregano
2/3 cup olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1) Put all ingredients EXCEPT olive oil in blender or processor and pulse to a thick mixture.
2) Do not over-process!
3) Remove from processor and whisk in olive oil - very important! .
4) Add salt and pepper liberally.
1) Remove meat from marinade and grill on a pre-heated grill over medium high heat. Cook to desired doneness, but the more rare, the more flavorful.
2) Serve hot, topped with Chimichurri Sauce.
Here's a video with step-by-step instructions on how to make the Chimichurri Sauce of Awesomeness®.
WARNING! Chimichurri is highly addictive! Have lots of Cuban bread available for extra dipping! =D